A thorough estate plan can benefit people of all ages. I advise all of my clients to consider the unexpected in estate planning, whether they are single individuals with minimal assets, young parents with minor children or retired business owners who need to consider complex asset transfer in the event of death.
Help In Estate Planning And Estate Administration
Still, many people I work with at The Jill K. Shipman-DeHardt Law Firm, P.C., come to me after the unexpected has already happened. They have lost a loved one and have been named a personal representative (estate executor, estate administrator or power of attorney). They have significant responsibilities to uphold when finalizing a loved one's affairs, and they need guidance to make sure it is handled correctly.
I take pride in offering people experienced counsel through some of life's most challenging times — litigation and the probate process. I work personally with my clients to ensure every important detail is considered when:
- Drafting, reviewing or amending estate planning documents (wills, trusts, power of attorney, guardianships, living wills, health care directives, etc.)
- Distributing assets to beneficiaries and heirs
- Paying creditors, gathering assets and transferring ownership of assets
- Preserving estate value through the probate process
- Contesting a will or representing the estate in will contests and estate disputes
- Acting as a fiduciary in estate administration matters
Make Sure You Know Your Responsibilities In Probate
Estate executors and administrators have responsibilities to uphold any existing estate documents. If estate documents do not exist, they must deal with the often complex and lengthy probate process. Failure to adhere to strict rules and regulations can leave these representatives personally liable for losses the estate incurs.
Be sure to have a complete understanding of your responsibilities and how to best protect the estate in the probate process. As your lawyer, I can work with you to make sure things are done right every step of the way. Contact my office in Lee's Summit, Missouri, online or by telephone at 816-287-1223 to schedule an appointment. I handle cases throughout the Kansas City metro area in Missouri.